1) Can I use Tombstone Repair Kits year-round?
Yes, if extremely hot, cool the Tombstone Repair Kit and stone where possible and have everything ready when Epoxy and Hardener are mixed. If extremely cold, warm the Tombstone Repair Kit and keep in an insulated chest. Warm stone if practical.
2) Does batch size affect work time?
Yes, larger batches will heat up much faster unless you spread them out. You can spread them on a surface that will soak up their heat and increase putty work time.
3) Is someone available by phone or email to answer questions I may have?
Yes, 334-682-4296 or 334-412-2440 (available 24/7) and firstname.lastname@example.org
4) Can I repair badly broken headstones and other memorials?
Yes, see Tombstone Restoration photo gallery, FAQs below, and contact us.
5) What do I do about missing pieces, especially larger pieces?
If you can assemble on a horizontal surface, you can determine the number and sizes of missing pieces. Very large voids can be partially filled by fashioning a piece of quality stone such as granite, marble, or the like. This is technically very sound and can save you a lot of money.
6) Do I have to do the entire repair all in one session?
No, most often badly broken stones (3 or more pieces) will require several repair sessions. Tombstone Repair bonds well to itself the next day or anytime later.
7) What do I do about missing letters, numbers, lines, flowers, etc?
See Tombstone Restoration photo gallery. These were done with a dremmel and diamond bits or similar. This can be done a day or more after using Tombstone Repair Kits. For real “train wrecks,” you may want to call us.
8) Is color matching difficult?
Somewhat, we include white and black pigments that also yield any shade of gray. Use black very sparingly if making gray. We can assist you on any unusual color. See our training video for blending fresh repairs using scrapings from nearby.
9) How should I measure Epoxy and Hardener for 2:1 ratio?
Estimate volume of the repair or amount you plan to use in a batch. Place a scoop of Hardener about 1/3 of the volume to be mixed on a mixing surface. Place two equal piles of Epoxy on each side of the hardener, so that all three piles are similar sized. This is accurate enough for 2:1. (see pictures on mixing and coloring)
10) How important is complete mixing of Epoxy and Hardener?
Very, mix and scrap Epoxy and Hardener together for several minutes. Add any pigments and mix until no streaks remain. A bristle paint brush can be used for priming and can be scrubbed into the stone for one final mixing step.
11) How do I “prime” all surfaces to be bonded?
After very good mixing of Epoxy and Hardener, use a 1” or 2” bristle paint brush to scrub putty into “pores” of the stone surface. In cold weather, it helps to cut the thickness of the putty with a small amount of 91% rubbing alcohol. This will wet the stone surface and make the putty easier to spread.
12) How do I clean up around the fresh repairs?
Use 91% rubbing alcohol (70% will work) to saturate a paper towel or cloth to smooth down rough spots and remove unwanted Tombstone Repair. To blend fresh repairs, matching scrapings can be added to this step (see video).
13) If I have to lift a large repaired tablet, how long should I let the repair cure?
Cure time is very temperature dependent. Overnight is often plenty strong, but an extra day or two, especially during cold weather, will be safer.
14) What is the shelf life of Tombstone Repair Kits?
When stored at around room temperature, Tombstone Repair Kits will have a shelf life of many years. It is very important that Tombstone Repair Kits are never stored at freezing temperatures. Epoxy or Hardener may need to be remixed after being stored for long periods.
15) Can larger repairs be formed, or Tombstone Repair Kits used as a bonding agent for very large additions of Portland cement concrete?
Yes, but call us for job specific and detailed help.
POLYMER CONCRETE INC and TOMBSTONE RESTORATION
PO Box 610 Camden, AL 36726 USA
Copyright © 2020 POLYMER CONCRETE INC - All Rights Reserved.
Powered by GoDaddy Website Builder